. be resourceful
 
 
. wasted time
 
 
. sanity check
 
 
. carbon dating
 
 
. frozen time
 
 
4.5.06
was having lunch with Chunyong before MI:3...
when i saw this old couple at the table behind him...
the old lady was sitting patiently at the table when the old man came back with a tray of food...
they slowly unloaded a plate of popiah, a korean grilled fish thingy and a bowl of rice...
the old lady then proceeded to divide the bowl of rice into two separate bowls...
before they started to eat their lunch...
i dont think they were sharing because of financial woes...
cause korean cuisine at food courts aint the cheapest alternative you can find...
but more because at that age...
you dont tend to eat so much...
it was heartwarming to watch such a scene play out...
the simple act of sharing food...
an old couple on a good 'ole date...
it was just so sweet...

the guy never shares food with me...
i dont know why...
but unlike me...
he never likes to exchange plates halfway just so we could try more things...
something i'd always liked to do...
he doesnt even share my desserts cause he doesnt like sweet stuff...
but frankly...
i think the sharing of stuff means much more than the act of splitting an item into two...
it's an experience by itself...
being able to enjoy something together...
forking into the same plate...
it's like sharing a joy...
even if it means hundreds of calories over my warm chocolate cake...
like passing a piece of the steak that i find yummy over to him...
though he seldom reciprocates...
and i help myself to his noodles or something...

watching the old couple reminded me of my grandparents who live with me...
how my grandad takes care of my grandma...
how he brandishes his toothless grin when my granny tells me that she hasnt eaten when i ask her whether she has taken dinner and goes on to defend her own statement...
the kind of smile that isnt patronising...
the kind you see after 60 years of marriage...
it just made me think about the little pink heart shaped balloon that he bought from my sis...
who was raising money for charity...
and gave the balloon to my granny...
who did look happy...

it made me think about my dad...
about his love for my mom and us...
he's not one to verbalise his love...
with the many 'i love you's...
or extravagant gifts...
but the uncomplaining acts of driving across the island everyday to pick up my up from work...
when he works in Serangoon...
my mom in the West...
and us living in the North-East...
or when he picks me up from NUS...
offers to pick me up for dinner outside...
or to pick up my laundry and pack dinner for me...
offer logistical support for my camp...
that is love too...
i dont think it's anything else coz i dont see anything that i can give him in return...
not even in the future coz i dont think anything will ever be enough...
though that doesnt mean that wont be doing anything...

it's a nice thought...
having someone to live out your life with...
share ur food...
ur pain...
ur joy...
and that someone can be family too...

----Stef stopped rambling at 01:19
--Link to Post

template and images © elementopia 2003